Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting More Specific

It looks like the Teaching Your Children Joy activities are now starting to move away from the abstract ideas we've been working with the past two weeks.  Today's activity was very specific.

"Finger paint with shaving cream"

Oh, boy, does that sound messy.  I just couldn't do it.  Instead I took the suggestions about using it as a color mixing lesson, and got out the watercolors with Beck during school time.  That was fun and we did it just as long as he wanted to.  Then while he ate his snack I motivated myself to make a batch of sidewalk paint.


Is it a requirement for mom bloggers at some point to put a recipe for sidewalk paint in their posting history?  There are seriously hundreds of recipes online.  I've looked at them dozens of times and always had hesitations.  What if it stains clothes (or the driveway), what if I don't have the ingredients?  Today I called my neighbor for the parts I was missing and finally did it. If you've been holding out like me, let this be the recipe that sets your brush in motion...

Homemade Sidewalk Paint
1/2 c cornstarch
1/2 c COLD water
Food Coloring

~Simply mix the cornstarch and water together until smooth
 (the key is COLD-it will make your life much easier)
~Divide into separate bowls and add food coloring until reaching desired color.
(I loved not having to count out 22-ish drops)
~Add paint brushes and paint away!
(The paint will need occasional stirring, which kids are good at.  If it thickens too much, just add more water.)


To answer the staining question, don't worry.  The paint dries like chalk.  It will wash off the driveway easily with a hose and if your baby decides to paint his jeans it will brush off.  Just try to get to him before he brushes up against your sofa...

1 comment:

  1. I love that track you made and it seems like it was really vibrant colors. Makes me wish I had a flat driveway and that it wasn't so cold already where I live. So glad to be following your blog now!

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice to hear your ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...