Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Winter Solstice!

As much I dislike cold weather, I love to celebrate the winter solstice.  Why?  Starting tomorrow the days are getting longer and it's only a short 6 months until my favorite holiday, the summer solstice, is here again.  Today to commemorate the summer solstice, Beck and I did some fun winter activities.

We watched this time-lapse video of the shortest day in Fairbanks, Alaska 
(I wrote more about the solstice on my other blog Wandering Still).


Beck did a fun Snowman color-the-shapes worksheet

and then we cut out this adorable snowman paperdoll.
templates
I didn't think about it before school today, but I'm going to mount these on cardboard (recycled cereal box, probably) and attach small velcro pieces so that they're a little more usable.  Very cute!

And finally we made these cute snowman Christmas tree ornaments out of popsicle sticks and random scraps we had laying around the house.
Beck insisted on keeping one as a puppet and it gave me great ideas to make a whole puppet family.
We'll get to that someday...

In the meantime, how are you spending your shortest day of the year?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had some fun! Stopping in from the Alexa Drop! Here's my site OneMomsMoxie.com if you'd like to go to mine :)

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice to hear your ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...