Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mail from...New Hampshire

New Hampshire is a beautiful state!  Who could argue that when this is their state bird...

state bird
Purple Finch

I visited there in a long ago October when the granite mountains were on fire with changing autumn colors.  On that trip, I got to see the Old Man of the Mountain.  I'm so glad I did, because in 2003 the profile collapsed and changed the face of the mountain forever.

New Hampshire state emblem
Before and After 

Much to my surprise, this pile of crumbled rocks held very little appeal to my boys, so, thinking on my feet, I pulled out the paints to create our own representations of the New Hampshire autumn leaves.  We used Q-tips instead of brushes and I demonstrated how to carefully dot the paint onto the paper.  It did not make any sense to my kids today.  Surprising myself again, I didn't over-react and try to correct them.  I just let them be and worked on my own dotted painting...


So, New Hampshire did not bring about a super-memorable postcard lesson.  I'll have to put "visit New Hampshire" on our to-do list and see if that doesn't turn out to be more inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Just nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. Here's the link from my site: http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award.html

    Enjoy!
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice to hear your ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...