Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Shaping Up the Way It Should Be

When Beck and I started doing kindergarten together I had a small concern about what I was going to do with my two-year-old.  I still haven't figured out how to work the Teaching Your Children Joy activities into our new twin and school-filled days and I was worried he'd get left behind.  Then we did this shapes lesson and I realized that we were going to be just fine.


Instead of putting Peyton down for his nap before starting Beck's lessons, we've started doing the craft or activity parts while he is still awake.  He LOVES drawing and coloring and painting and gluing and all things getting messy, and he LOVES getting to do whatever his big brother is doing.  

Recently, Beck's official curriculum was set to teach him the basic shape names and numbers of sides.  Seriously?  They're a couple years behind.  Instead we had a little learning fun by getting out the blocks and building towers.  


Look at all those different shapes!  After building, I had Beck draw his tower, thus getting great practice at drawing all his sides and corners.  

And while he was busy drawing and coloring, I had free time to sit and work with Peyton.  I held his hand and helped him draw rectangles, triangles, circles, and squares.  And then I had time to just watch as both my boys concentrated completely on what they were doing.

So sweet-Helping little  brother draw his circles
A pretty fair representation
We got a little color lesson in with it as well
I love having the time to work with both of my boys.  Their little minds are always going and it's inspiring to see the light come on every time they learn something new.  And if it takes an afternoon of building a tower made of blocks and coloring, I'm glad I embraced patience and had my priorities in order for at least that part of our day.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I may have to modify it for my 3-year-old son, though. Do you think setting the shapes on the paper to trace around would work? ~ Mommy the Literacy Master

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the still life with blocks. Newest follower from NOBH. Hope you will come over and follow me back.
    Be blessed,
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
    www.heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job the little ones always learn a little while you work with the older one...at least that is my experience:) Thanks for linking up to the NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when my kids work together!! Love the drawing too =-)


    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week and I look forward to seeing you linked up again on Friday,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how he colored an image of the blocks he stacked. Great post! I have a weekly feature, "Who Home Schools," and I wondered if you would be interested in participating. Email me for more information. -Savannah

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice to hear your ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...