Saturday, February 2, 2013

More Math Ideas

I somehow made it through my first unit teaching addition and we've moved on to working with "minus" and "take away".  Thankfully Beck seemed to understand it just as well as "plus"  right from the beginning, because I'm beginning to realize I might not have much more than a kindergarten aptitude for math myself!

Here are a few of the ways we're practicing our addition and subtraction... 

We used snap cubes to add two groups and then put them in different orders
(tallest v smallest, colors, smallest # v largest #, etc)

I drew a number line on a Ziploc bag with permanent marker and put addition flash cards inside.
Beck used a dry erase marker on the bag to figure out the problems by moving the "zipper"
(If I were making this one again, I'd draw the numbers on top of the number line, closer to the zipper.  
The white sheet of paper is just to make it easier to see the numbers on the bag.)

 We started using a math journal.
The template comes from Ketchen's Kindergarten
and has prompts for every month of the school year.  

My husband was super cute one night suggesting we use a game spinner.
Since it only goes up to six, I'm going to make a little template with larger numbers to tape on top.

 And this week I just needed a break,
 so I filled a bowl with mini marshmallows and sent Beck into the living room with his worksheet.
He was supposed to use the marshmallows as counters and then could eat the "take-aways". 
 He did the whole worksheet in his head, ate the "take-aways", and brought me the rest.  I can handle that!

What other ways do you have to make math interesting?

Be sure to check out our  "Card Game Math", 
and bean counters (for your littler ones)

8 comments:

  1. I used to use dice in the classroom. I bought big rubber dice and the kids would have a blast making math problems by rolling numbers. (BTW, we weren't supposed to call them dice, we called them Number Generators.) Silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from the SITS Saturday Sharefest.

    What great ideas! I think I would have enjoyed homeschooling when my kids were younger

    Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. Ihave gone back to the basics with my seven year old, that is now working on regrouping. I needed to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should go get some big fun dice (I mean, number generators)-there's a supply store a block from house, I'll have to stop in soon!

    Jenny, thanks for the Legos idea. We haven't used them for school yet because I'm afraid Beck will get carried away with some big drawn out saga in his mind and then we'll never get back to adding and subtracting. Maybe I should just see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kindergartner loves using a number line more than anything else. We use little animal eraser toppers and 'hop' down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've done an awesome job making math interesting. That slider on a ziplock bag is a fantastic way to introduce a number line. Excellent. Here's a link to the creative ways we have used math.

    http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/p/math.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Ideas! So, what do we do?
    Well, I am Big on Computer Learning Games! There are so many Free ones that are Awesome!
    http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_random_games.html <~ This one is are Favorite!
    They just love playing them which makes learning for them so much easier IMO :)

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice to hear your ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...