Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sight & Nonsense Word Roads

My boys LOVE anything on wheels.  Recently they got to go to a monster truck rally and have been pretending to be monster truck drivers night and day since then.  I decided to capitalize on it with...


Using an 11x17 piece of photo matting I had leftover from a Christmas project, I first drew three winding roads and then colored in the "grass" all around them.  The top two roads include sight words and the bottom, longer road is filled with nonsense word combinations.  

Let me tell you, the boys were EXCITED!!  With a timer set for 1 minute on each road, they sped through the sight words in about half the time.  Then a road block.  Nonsense words are harder, obviously, and as Beck began to realize that he wasn't going to make it through the entire nonsense word course in the allotted time, he got frustrated and started giving up.  But that was the whole point!  Because next time the words will be a little easier and make a little more sense and his truck will driver further on the path.  It took him three tries to finish the nonsense words road and he was jumping up and down when he did. 

The Sight & Nonsense Word Road Course quickly became less of a challenge and now we use it as a great diversion when regular school is getting a little boring.  Maybe I'll flip it over and create a race car speed track on the other side!

What ways do you have 
for helping your children learn the nonsense words?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, My Little Guy would go bonkers for this activity!! I wanted to invite you to share with us in our Share It Saturday link up. http://www.sugaraunts.com/2013/02/share-it-saturday-7-and-our-week-in.html
    There are so many creative bloggers who are linking up each week and you would fit right in! We also have a Share It Saturday Pinterest page and are inviting all contributors to collaborate on this group board. Such a great way to reach out to new readers!! Hope to see you there!
    Colleen at Sugar Aunts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome--I think all my kids would love it!! I'm going to share it on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice when we can integrate our children's interest, making learning just a bit more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastically fun learning tool! My son would have loved this when he was younger. Thanks for linking up with us over at NOBH!

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice to hear your ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...